Compiled from the TV and video series "Travel in Europe with Rick Steves
Discover the World Many Travelers Miss
Athens and the Peloponnese:
- Marvel at the incredibly advanced ancient engineering at the ruined palace of Mycenae.
- Explore the evolution of Greek art at the National Museum in Athens.
- Hike up to the majestic and classical Acropolis and immerse yourself in its history.
- Taste local Athenian cuisine and wine at one of the local restaurants in the tourist heart of Athens, the Plaka.
- Travel the Aegean Sea by ferry to the wonderously rugged, volcanic island of Santorini, a tourist Mecca.
- Tour by moped, the lush and rarely visited island of Samos;a short boat ride from Turkey's mainland.
- Savor traditional Greek fare, including tsaziki, souvlakia and retsina, at a remote and unknown island, Lipsi.