Southport Video Productions, producer of 19 documentary videos, including the recent Lighthouses of the Great Lakes, has just issued Lighthouses of Lake Michigan. The hour-long presentation features one of the most comprehensive looks at Lake Michigan lighthouses available.
Lake Michigan has more lighthouses than any of the Great Lakes, and Lighthouses of Lake Michigan offers a healthy sampling, including:
- Door County lighthouses including Pottawatomie Lighthouse, the oldest lighthouse in Wisconsin, built when Andrew Jackson was still president, and the Cana Island and Eagle Bluff lights, two of the most popular and beautiful lighthouses to grace the lake
- North Point Lighthouse, Milwaukee, Wi., which had to be extended when tree growth impaired its visibility to passing ships
- Wind Point and Racine Reef lighthouses, the former a classic structure that has become the symbol of a southeast Wisconsin city, the latter a beautiful light that was dismantled in 1961
- Southport Lighthouse, Kenosha, Wi., built with Cream City brick and spared demolition through the efforts of concerned area citizens
- Grosse Point Lighthouse, Evanston, Il., a breathtaking building and tower, designed by the great lighthouse designer O.M. Poe;and
- The Sand Point Lighthouse in Escanaba, Mi., a structural oddity built with is tower facing the town of Escanaba rather than the water itself.
There are many others on both the Michigan and Wisconsin shores of the lake. Great Lakes historians offer the backgrounds to the individual lighthouses, along with entertaining anecdotes about noteworthy lighthouse keepers, ghost stories, and comprehensive information about restoration efforts. Beautiful paintings, photographs, aerial and ground video footage illustrate the stories, while former lighthouse keepers offer tales of their experiences.
"I've always been amazed by the sheer number of people who are drawn to lighthouses," says Southport Video Productions producer Mark C. Gumbinger. People are looking for symbols of easier, more peaceful times, and lighthouses offer a sense of comfort and stability. They seem to say, "We'll guide you through the storm." Gumbinger promises a similar documentary on Lake Superior lighthouses next year.
Lighthouses of Lake Michigan is entertaining and informative and appeals to audiences of all ages.