Journey through 400 years in this riveting video that tells the inspiring history of Portland, Maine
Take Home a piece of Portland history.
This informative program is your in-depth look at the origins of Maine's largest city. From the days of hard winters in tents to four devastating fires;from Prohibition to World War II, Experience Portland Past will show you where this vibrant city gets its character. And characters.
- Hear the stories of citizens who suffered attacks, fires and economic disaster only to emerge each time as a stronger, more vibrant city.
- Learn what it was like to grow up on Munjoy Hill during the Depression and air raids from people who went through it and still call Portland home.
- Enjoy this director's cut with additional material never seen before, plus stories of:
- The Great Fire of 1866 that left almost no building standing
- How the prohibition movement started in Portland and sparked a rum riot
- Portland's critical role in shipbuilding from the 1700's to today
- Meet great storytellers like historians Joel Eastman, Herb Adams, and Eileen Eagan who make moments in Portland's history come alive.
Narrated by Charles Osgood from CBS News Sunday Morning.
Charles Osgood is the anchor of "CBS News Sunday Morning," and the host of "The Osgood File" on CBS radio.